As a parent, it’s helpful (and reassuring) to know exactly what your kids will be up to when you sign them up for an activity, whether it’s a one-day sport camp or a summer-long experience. So we asked Victoria Sanders, kids manager for Life Time Kids in Eagan, Minn., which provides thoughtful, healthy programming to kids from infancy through age 12, to give us an inside look at Life Time’s Summer Camp program and how your kids will be spending their time.
What makes Life Time Kids Summer Camp different from other programs?
At Life Time, a good portion of the camp experience can be personalized to your child. “In addition to our mission of providing a healthy place to have fun all summer, we give parents and campers the power of choice by customizing their experience in camp to their personal liking,” says Sanders.
There are a variety of activities to choose from, meaning the days can be tailored to meet the needs, skillset, and interests of each camper.
Who can register for Summer Camp at Life Time?
Everyone is welcome! Members can register at an exclusive member price, while nonmembers are subject to a fee applied to their registration. You can register for a single week or multiple weeks at a time.
What types of activities will my child engage in at Summer Camp?
Each week has a theme that influences the types of activities kids will be doing. These typically consist of swimming, rock climbing, active gym games, S.T.E.A.M. (science, technology, engineering, arts, math), team building, community connections, and dress-up days.
What does a typical week look like for a summer camper?
Summer Camp is offered Monday through Friday. Each day, most camps begin between 8 a.m. and 9 a.m. and end by 6 p.m. The majority of clubs offer 12 weeks of Summer Camp. (This is dependent on local government guidelines and whether your club is reopened.)
The exact schedule and activities vary based on your club location and child’s preferences, but this example schedule gives you an idea of what a week at Summer Camp could look like for your child.
- 7–9 a.m.: Check in
- 9–9:30 a.m.: Morning meet-up and ice breaker
- 9:30–9:45 a.m.: Warm-ups
- 9:45–10 a.m.: Bathroom and water break
- 10-11:30 a.m.: Swim
- 11:30–noon: Lunch
- Noon–12:30 p.m.: Clubs time
- 12:30–1 p.m.: S.T.E.A.M.
- 1–1:30 p.m.: Gym, sports, and fitness activities
- 1:30–2 p.m.: Community connection
- 2–2:30 p.m.: Warrior challenge
- 2:30–3:30 p.m.: Rock climbing
- 3:30–4 p.m.: Gym games
- 4–4:30 p.m.: Camper team building challenge
- 4:30–5 p.m.: Counselor vs. counselor challenge
- 5–6 p.m.: Clubs time and check-out
What safety precautions are you taking at Summer Camp this year due to the coronavirus pandemic?
We are taking a number of safety and cleanliness measures that include the following:
- Increasing our cleaning and sanitizing protocols to include hourly disinfecting of high-touch surfaces and nightly cleans using an EPA-registered virus-killing disinfectant.
- Screening temperatures upon arrival to camp and during lunchtime. Campers with a temperature of 100.4 degrees F or above will not be permitted to attend or will need to be picked up by parent or guardian.
- Excluding campers from attending based on symptoms of illness at check-in. If a camper exhibits signs of illness during the day, they will be removed from proximity to other campers, and the parents will be contacted for pickup.
- Having many of our team members wear masks and gloves throughout the day.
- Using stickers, tape, and other visual cues to help campers identify safe social-distancing practices. We are limiting the instances of intermingling between team members and decreasing the cross transfer of spaces for our campers.
If offered at your club, we also ask that all pre-registered families use curbside drop-off and pick-up to take their campers to and from camp.
How can I find out more or register for Summer Camp at Life Time?
Whether you’re a member or nonmember, more information and registration details can be found by contacting the Activities Center or Kids Manager at your local club, or you can fill out a request form here.